Midland & South Western Junction Railway.
The Midland & South Western Railway (MSWJR) ran from Cheltenham in the north to Andover Junction in the south, with running powers over the London & South Western Railway (LSWR) to Southampton. It was independent of other companies but derived traffic from the Midland Railway at Cheltenham and the LSWR further south. It ran in opposition to the Great Western Railway (GWR) but was absorbed into the GWR at grouping in 1923. Running as it did along the edge of Salisbury Plain it became important in servicing the army bases at Ludgershall and Tidworth. The route closed in the mid 1960s.
The period modelled is in the 1910-1914 period. Models are built to 4mmm scale and P4 gauge.
No 8 was a 2-4-0T built by Beyer Peacock in 1884. It was one of three locomotives ordered by the Swindon, Marlborough and Andover Railway when the line was extended to Cheltenham. On delivery Beyer Peacock requested payment for the other two locomotives but the SMAR did not have the funds and the locos were never delivered, being sold to another company. It was based at Swindon Town shed for much of its life, and in 1912 it was relegated to the duplicate list (becoming 8A) as the number was required for one of the new 4-4-0 engines. It was withdrawn from service in 1918
It was made from a Peter Kay kit, and painted by myself.
MSWJR No 13
No 13 was one of a pair of mixed traffic 0-6-0T engines ordered from Dubs and delivered in 1894. Based initially at Swindon Town it was transferred to Andover with the opening of the Tidworth branch in 1902. Taken into GWR stock at the grouping, it became GWR no 825, and was withdrawn in 1926.
The model is scratch built, having been started in 1972 when living in New Zealand. It was 40 years in the building being finally finished in 2014>